Friday, August 29, 2008

Kids and Fort Building




EVERY KID has to build a FORT!!! It's in our Bones :o) This is one thing The Hubby and I were discussing one evening not long ago.... wondering when our own Little Man would have that inkling. We laughed at each other too, both of us confessing that even though we're adults we still have that Urge to build a Fort. Fortunatly for me I'm a SAHM and around my child and his friends frequently enough that I can get away with the pretense of it all being for them.
Hee hee :o)

A few weeks later, I came into the living room from the kitchen to find H Man had collected all cushions and Blankets and had built Himself a pillow fort :) This, without any prompting or being told what a pillow fort even was, not even by us. It was so cute and, of course, Daddy and Mommy had to jump right in and show him how to build a 'Castle'.

So I have been pondering... As Kids, why do we Love Forts so much. When I asked H Man what he was doing, he said he's making a home for himself. I think its a mental urging to be independent and have a space their own they can hide in, or control. Its amazing what children come up with on there own.

Common phenomenon, you think? KIDS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN!! :o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally freaking awesome! Love the castle ya'll built too... I too loved forts when I was a Littlie and have built a few with my two... V Man seems to enjoy demolishing them as soon as they're built though...! Hahahaha! And Miss L gets SO angry about it. Oh, sibs, what can you do?

Great post!
XOXOX,
Penni